DVD'S

Monday, April 5, 2010

Boondock Saints 2


The sequel to a cult classic came out, and I was so excited to see it; "Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day". I was a HUGE fan of the first movie, and with Troy Duffy back as director, along with the original cast, I felt it was worthy of a viewing. Contrary to most opinions I've heard, the film wasn't horrible, then again it wasn't spectacular either. Most sequels are like that. In fact, I can only think of one instance where the sequel was actually better than the original.

The MacManus family is back after an eight year exhile in Ireland to escape persecution for their bloody rampage of justice. Suddenly, a Catholic priest is killed in a way that sends a clear taunting message to the brothers, and they come back to Boston to clear their names, along the way picking up a new funny sidekick. In the first movie is was Rocco "The Funnyman", in the sequel, it's Romeo "The Mexican". Even though it's been ten years since their last blockbuster, Norman Reedus (Murphy MacManus) and Billy Connelly (Papa MacManus) look great. I wish I could say the same, however, for Sean Patrick Flanery (Conner MacManus). I wish that I could somehow get a hold of some celebrities and let them know what all of their "yes men" never seem to have the balls to say, "YES, I CAN TELL YOU GOT A FACELIFT, AND IT LOOKS AWFUL!!!" It's so blatantly obvious, that it's distracting in some scenes.

The sequel had all the best intentions, reuniting the entire cast, including all the original, somewhat incompetant Boston police officers, (Detectives Greenly, Duffy, and Dolly), along with a new female FBI agent (Julie Benz), taking up the role that Willem Defoe occupied in the original film. Though I thought she did an admirable job as his replacement, I was glad to see Agent Paul Smecker make a cameo appearance to balance her out. The film had a few bad-ass moments, but it just didn't hold me at gunpoint like the first one did. Good for a rental, but not one I would pay $19.99 for.

3 comments: