DVD'S

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Megamind


I am a fan of animated pictures. I grew up on Disney films, and to this day I can still recite every word of "The Little Mermaid" - including the song lyrics. (Don't judge me.) Disney, however, seemed a little slow to upgrade their technology, that is, until they paired with Pixar, and the movies got even better. Everybody loved "Finding Nemo", and don't even get me started on "The Incredibles" - classic. But Dreamworks has had their name on a few winners as well, "Shrek" & "Kung Fu Panda" so when I learned the amount of money that the newest animated comedy from Dreamworks was bringing in (over $46 mil & counting) I figured it had to be good.
Will Ferrell is the voice of Megamind, an evil, brilliantly dim-witted mastermind. After a very "Superman" - like childhood trauma, both a young Megamind and a young Metro Man (voice by Brad Pitt) are flung to Earth. Megamind landed in a prison, Metro Man, in a mansion. Naturally, you can assume the upbringing differed a bit. Lifelong enemies battled again and again, until one day, unbelievably, Megamind suceeds, and finds that without an enemy, a criminal mastermind's life is pretty empty.
I must admit there were moments of levity, but none that would stick in my mind after the lights came back on. Pitt should probably stick to feature films, not voice overs. Ferrell pulled it off well, as did David Cross as 'Minion' I hope they both keep doing more animation work. Overall, it was a kids' movie. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, (or an unprofitable thing, it only costs $10 mil to produce) It's just that I feel the mark of a truly unforgettable animated feature is it's ability to appeal not only to the children, but to adolescents and adults. I didn't feel that broad spectrum appeal here. I enjoyed "Despicable Me" more. My recommendation is that this is a rental, not a purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment